Thursday 28 January 2010

In for the Longchamp

I've been living in London for just over a year now and ever since I've been regularly travelling on the tube and just wandering around town in general, I have been noticing women carrying a particular bag.


The bag in question is a canvas tote bag with a brown leather flap and handles, and a zip to fasten the bag which seems to extend a bit longer than the bag itself across the top. And I would guess I've seen it carried by at least 20% of women I have seen in London - no joke (though I'm not great at estimating amounts so take that with a pinch of salt...), but anyway - A LOT of women. It's quite a nice simple and elegant bag but I've found myself to be a victim of trend-itis - I want one even though if I'd only seen one women carrying it I wouldn't have taken a second glance. But because so many women, and they are usually of the sophisticated, cool, London type, carry one I have become very envious and want one myself, just so I can be like them.


Anyway, because the bag doesn't have any obvious logo on it, and I haven't been close enough to one to really have a look for some sort of identification (that would go a little too far even for me - in London you are supposed to act completely nonchalant towards the people you travel with and see on the street so staring at someone's bag intently would look a little weird) AND I've been too much of a coward to approach someone and ask where their bag is from, the bag's identity and where it is from has remained a mystery to me. Until today that is - I finally decided to try and search for it online and after about five minutes of typing various combinations of: "london women canvas tote bag leather handles and flap" into Google, I finally discovered the bag in question is a Longchamp bag.






More specifically it is 'Le Pliage' bag and you can get it in a range of colours at http://www.longchamp.com/gb/home-e-shopping-10218.html or go to www.longchamp.com and click on your correct country if you're not in the UK. It is around £63 which I would never pay for a bag, but considering it is an actual 'designer bag' then it's pretty reasonable. I'm not sure I will actually buy it but I may look for one on ebay or somewhere, or perhaps look for a copycat from a cheaper store, but I'll let you know if I find anything.


So there you have it, the 'Le Pliage' Longchamp bag - every London woman's go-to bag for style and simplicity, it's not really a cutting edge trend, I think women have been carrying them for years now, but it's definitely a prominent and prolific trend in any case.


Until next time,


Elvie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment