Tuesday 10 August 2010

Well That's Hat Then

Long time, no see again Mr. Blog. I am so rubbish at keeping this up, it's embarrassing!


I don't know what I can do to make myself write more often, making promises to myself doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'll just stick to only writing occasionally but I know that means I have less chance of exposing my blog to the world and getting more people to read it, though that's probably a long shot anyway...


So, on to the topic in hand: HATS


I have always been a fan of the hat and those that dare to wear, but unfortunately, due to my large head and protruding ears, I have never been able to find that perfect hat that not only looks good on me, but is vaguely in fashion at the time.


But - no more! Well I hope... I have recently bought a hat from H&M that finally fits my head (I had to buy the 'Large' size though) and I think is not massively unfashionable.


It's a black felt hat with a black silk ribbon around the base and it's actually pretty versatile - it can be a bowler hat with the edges turned up, a twenties style hat with the edges down, and if you're careful you can press in the top slightly and it looks a bit like a trilby!


Today, in fact, I wore it with one edge lower down than the other and paired it with smart harems (New Look), a flowery scarf (Topshop) and some brogue-style shiny flats, giving a rather 1920's American Mobster look - see picture attached of me looking all Bugsy Malone:




Now I'm not saying this look is particularly 'on trend' atm, but I think hats can just give that extra edge to an outfit and get you noticed more, and as this one is so versatile, it's a real winner.


Wearing a bowler hat or trilby on the back of your head has certainly been a look that's been seen atop many fashionistas heads these past few years, and straw hats always have a look-in over the summer, but felt hats, sometimes in a twenties style, are having a bit of a moment this year I think. Take the new issue of ASOS Magazine which features former The City star and socialite Olivia Palermo modelling a number of felt hats - you can see this here: http://bit.ly/3oZVs5


So hats off to the hat, and see you in about a month probably...


Elvie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment